Our moving tools make moving enjoyable. Ask me about the full suite of service we provide.
Tips for Your Move
- One of the easiest ways to save money on your next move is to do the packing before your move. The packing of your belongings is very time consuming and most moving companies charge by the hour. While Rock’s Moving Co. can take care of those items, if you’re wanting to save money, pack up everything and move your smaller, breakable items yourself.
- When picking out boxes, be sure to get a variety of sizes. Think critically about what you need to pack up. While you might think you need just a bunch of large boxes, you’ll probably need more small and medium sized boxes, since most things pack better in them. Get a few wardrobe boxes, many medium and definitely a lot of small boxes.
- So you’ve ordered enough boxes, but you also don’t want to run out of tape! Make sure you have more than you think you’ll need, just in case. It’s also smart to purchase a tape gun to help make box assembly a little faster. Make sure you grab packing paper and everything else you’ll need too!
- Label each box so you know what’s in it, and which room it goes in. Pack the same room in the same box. Don’t mix. This way unpacking is easy. This will make unpacking much easier on you.
- Avoid nasty smells and leaks by defrosting your fridge completely the night before your move.
- While your clothes are still hanging in the closet, put them inside a trash bag to make unpacking simpler.
- Designate a donate pile for all clothing and items that you don’t want to take with you. That way, all you have to do is schedule a pickup with the Salvation Army or ClothingDonations.org. Don’t forget to ask for a receipt to claim a tax deduction!
- Measure EVERYTHING. If a piece of furniture can’t fit in your new home, get rid of it! Also get rid of anything you’d rather not have in your new home.
- Group delicate items together and make sure to label them as fragile. That way your movers will know which boxes need extra care, and can place them in the right spots in the moving van.
- The heavier the item, the smaller the box! It’s much easier to carry heavier items when they’re in smaller boxes. Save the larger boxes for things that are lighter, but hard to carry on their own. Never over-pack a box.
- If you’re moving with kids, incorporate them into the moving process by giving them a special box for all their favorite things. Let them decorate the box as wildly as they like!
- Keep a snack bin available during moving and unpacking. Load it up with water, protein bars, chips, or whatever you need to stay fueled up during your move.
- Keep all your moving day essentials in an overnight bag. It’ll prevent having to sift through boxes to find your laptop, toiletries, clothes, and medications!
- Pack the items that you’ll need most immediately in a clear plastic bin, or a designated “open first” box. Think: bed sheets, hand soap, towels, etc.
- If you’re moving with a dog, put their food and water bowl in the same room as where you put it in the old place. The more consistent you are with your dog’s routine, the less likely they are to be anxious and destroy things.
- No Packing on Moving Day. It’s one less stress. This also includes things like removing all pictures from the walls before moving day.
- Cash, jewelry, medications, firearms, important documents, etc. should all be secured before you move. Don’t pack cash, jewelry, or prescription medications – keep these with you. You might need to access them on moving day, and it’s nice for the movers if they know they don’t need to worry about keeping track of these small, but very important items.
- Take a breather! Moving day is stressful, so allow yourself some “me time” when it’s over. Watch a movie, order some pizza, or do whatever you need to relax after a long day of hard work.